Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dahab, Egypt - Mr. Magoo goes to Dahab...




Dahab is like living in a soap opera.

Today has been particularly frustrating. While taking a shower this morning someone stole my eyeglasses. I had left them, inadvertently, by the sink. Why would anyone take my glasses? They were unique. I needed them! They were vital to my daily life! This last stunt is like tripping granny while she's crossing the street...then giving her a kick to the head just to make sure she's down for the count...

I got to get outta here soon. Here's the plan. Brekkie with Richard and Sally (Man's gotta eat! Am I right...?). Then a bit of snorkeling off the lighthouse. Afterward, find a SCUBA outfit. Do the dives then get the hell out of this place.

Bumming around is not good. Dahab is NOT Egypt (or is it?). In fact, some of the people around here are pretty nasty. I've seen traveler enclaves like Dahab in places like Bangkok and Kathmandu. But, in those places the stress level between locals and tourists was never this high. The Dahab touts are relentless.

PS. I've played my last game of backgammon.

[Ed. notes: Before I get any hate comments, I must say I had a pretty awful day that day. OK, I snapped. So, give me break...]

Out of Canuckistan: A travel blog, June 19/07
Bigtubofgoo.com
Buy Bubba a Beer Now!

5 comments:

Mr Spanky said...

Bubba, did you have a backup pair of goggles? I wouldn't be able to cross the street without my glasses.

bubba said...

Mr. Spanky! Nice having you on board... Extra goggles? Ha! That would require foresight on my part... get it? foresight? ha! i'm not too bright, eh. This little incident has changed operational procedures for all future "projects". i will carry backups from now on. i have learned...

Unknown said...

When I went to Dahab in 1990, it had one dirt road, "hotel rooms" were roofless boxes, floorless, electricity-less 4-walled boxes. You were give a padlock and a candle for $1/night. To think there are showers there now! The place has grown like crazy. Best snorkeling I've ever done though.

bubba said...

Estelle, I hear ya. I would have loved to have visited Dahab "way back then". Actually, I was traveling through Egypt on the way to Turkey overland in 1994.

I can imagine what it was like. The development along the shore now is pretty intense.

Thanks for commenting

Anonymous said...

Dahab is a mixture of beauty (the sea, the desert, the atmosphere...)and sin (sex tourism, drugs, theft). The touts are awful. Next time stay down the other end of town (Eel Garden, Assilah...) where there are more Bedouin and less Egyptians (=less hassle) and you will have a different experience I am sure...I did.