Sunday, April 20, 2008

A short walk in the Simiens (or The Walk From Hell) - Day 5 - Arkwasiye to Mekarebya, Ethiopia.


Arkwasiye in the early morn... Well, early for me...

Surrounding mountains. Ras Dashen, Africa's 4th highest peak at 4620m, is the flat protrusion (left of centre) in the upper tier of hills in this picture...

Dude #1...

Mini dude...

Fantee and Jackie...

Family that put me up for the night.

On our way to Mekarebya...

The great western plateau in the background...not alot going on in the fields. Wanted to see some farmers in action. Oh well...


Going down, way down. I hate going downhill. Nearly destroyed my knees...

Here I was worried about trekking in the raining season. Doh!

The little walk to Mekarebya nearly killed me today. Started unusually late today at 0848. Fasil, the scout, decided to have a few breakfast brewskies with his buddies before hitting the trail. Nice to know I hired the Foster Brooks of armed guards. I, in turn, had a couple of coffees with the family I was staying with.

Multiple dog fights outside the door, omnipresent roosters AND a rat scurrying around the rafters all night long made for a semi-horrendous night. At least the family (parents and 4 kids) was friendly enough.

Once the walk got underway it was pretty spectacular. Rolling fields of idle farm fields and the east face of the towering plateau in the distance. It was only when we reached the village of Sona, all hell broke loose. Steep switchbacks for 1000m downwards into one helluva gorge. Gravel strewn trails made for exciting times and numerous one point landings on my part.

By the time we hit rock bottom, I was exhausted. Really exhausted. Suffering major toe jam, I hoped my left foot was OK and not broken. We then walked by the near dry river bed. The river itself was a mere trickle. After a couple of hours rock and creek hopping, we reach a gigantic baobob tree that overhung a tranquil set of waterpools. It may have been hasty on my part but I ripped off my boots and dunked my feet into the cool refreshing creek water. While soaking my feet, I washed up a bit. The dirt on my body was so caked on. Must have spent an hour there just relaxing.

Took nearly 15 hours to reach Mekarebya (another small village). Just had enough energy to pitch the tent in an empty school yard. I fell into the tent for a nap. Woke up at 1730 to cook dinner. As it turned out, the boys had no food. So, I had to stretch my supplies. What does the National Park dudes pay these guys? No much, apparently.

Tomorrow's an early start at 0500. Not that we're losing mega-elevation, the daytime temps should make the walking hellish. I'm going to have to speed up the morning routine.

Mekareya's water supply was dodgy. So, I broke out the water treatment (chlorination solution) for the first time. Wish me luck.

The GPS says Mekarebya is at 13°21'8.31"N 38° 1'18.38"E at an elevation of 1879m ASL.

Out of Canuckistan: A travel blog, Apr 19/07
Bigtubofgoo.com
Buy Bubba a Beer Now!

No comments: