Monday, April 14, 2008

Gonder, Ethiopia - Where in the world is Faramir?


Ever get that feeling someone is watching you? This is the most photographed ceiling in Ethiopia. Painted on the lid of Debre Birhan Selassie church, about a kilometre outside Gonder, are 80 angelic faces...looking down from heaven. Hey where are the virgins?

There are a reported 44 churches in Gonder but Debre Birhan Selassie has got to be the most amazing. The inside is covered floor to ceiling with incredible ecclesiastic artwork that dates back to the 17th century. This pic is shot towards the altar.

A closer look at the front mural. That, in the centre, is JHC. I think that's the crew of Apollo 13 above him. I guess Tom Hanks did perform a miracle in saving the moon mission.

More gory subject matter. I only know of one upside down Apostolic crucifixion. That'd be St. Pete. As for the beheading, that could be anyone.

Those fellows don't look like that having a good time flailing around in the flames of Hell. I've got a pic of a mural with Satan dragging off Mohammed on a horse. I'm not going to post it. I like this blog...

Geepers, I was just there for 15 minutes and the caretaker fell asleep on me. I guess I just have that effect on people.

with any church, the flock is never too far away. Wait minute. That's not a sheep. That's the Holy Goat...

The shopping is done. I definitely have enough food to keep me going for 5 days (it's quite heavy). I think I can stretch the supply to eight days if necessary. It's gonna be a lot of macaroni, tuna, and instant soup. The finances are in place. It's go time tomorrow.

I hope the weather's ok. It's been dry here in Gonder the last couple of days. I hope I can meet up with other trekkers in Debark to defray some of the costs. If not, I'm outta there. I hope I'm fit enough. I hope I don't run out of food. I hope I can catch a bus somewhere afterwards. Do I sound like a worry a lot? Blame my mother. I am so bad at logistics.

I'm glad to be leaving Gonder. The Kleenex kids (you don't know how many little packages of tissue paper I've bought the last couple of days), inflated prices, exorbitant fees for sightseeing, etc. are wearing me down.

The only enjoyable thing I've done so far is walk the kilometre out of town to visit a swell church called Debre Birhan Selassie...

Out of Canuckistan: A travel blog, Apr 14/07
Bigtubofgoo.com
Buy Bubba a Beer Now!

No comments: