Saturday, March 01, 2008

Bujagali Falls, Uganda... Still Here: Part 4


this is my buddy Simon. he's the hardworking owner of the aptly named Bujagali Chapati Co. I can't remember the number of times i ate here (sometimes 3 meals a day) and the number of "rolexes" i chowed down. a rolex is sort of like a wrap: avocado, eggs, tomatoes, fries, cabbage (for dinner), bananas and honey (for brekkie) wrapped in a freshly made chapati (sort of like a fried tortilla but thicker). mmmm...they were delish... A general rule of mine is to eat out, away from the hotel. spread the wealth... often i eat street food at places like the Chapati Co.

that's lydia in the green dress. she's something like 12 or 13 yrs old. i bought about 100 bottles of drinking water from her during my time in Bujagali. i always tried to bargain down the price of water. she never did give me a good price. that's her sis on the right. kind of a hottie, eh. dunno who the little boy is.

Ed. Rock. I think the skies were about to bust open again. Always fun to slip and slide all the way down to the Chapati Co. especially at night. I stayed 13 nights here. Bill for the bunk and a couple of brewskies came to 140,400 Ugandan Shillings. An impressive amount of money at first glance but upon conversion was a measley 80 US dullah. not a bad deal...

Ed Rock gardens as seen from the restaurant. Nice to read a book, if it wasn't pouring rain.

Never a dull moment at the Rock. Found these bat-like creature hanging around while i was sipping a beer and watching Chelsea vs. Liverpool on the big screen tv.

It's time to travel once again. I shared a taxi into Jinja, the closest town of any size to Bujagali, with Ben, his wife, and Jan to get money and more importantly a bus ticket for Eldoret [Kenya]. Jinja turned out to be a pleasant town (certainly geared to the backpacker crowd): a couple of internet cafes and trendy real cafes. With the ticket in hand, I conceded the chimps of Uganda for the "next" trip.

Am I excited about moving on? Yep. It's been nearly 14 days. I think I'm prepared and well rested for the next segment. I still have bad days with the cough but they are less frequent. The fresh air of Bujagali has been a godsend. Moreover, the past 2 weeks has been most important in a psychological sense. Let's face it, I was just running on psychological fumes...the desire was waning.

[ed. note: refer to burnt]

I'm not sure how fellow travelers like Wojciech [ed. note: I follow Wojciech's travels on his blog here] do it day after day. I mean the guy must be one of the greatest contemporary travelers of our time. Really, I mean that...

I didn't do anything special other than go out for dinner with the at Mama's: basically a shack on the "main strip" that serves very very traditional Ugandan food - mainly tubers and some indistinct leafy green material. And, for the first time in days, I took pix of the new friends I've made here. I'm going to miss them.

Out of Canuckistan, Mar 1/07
Bigtubofgoo.com
Buy Bubba a Beer Now!

1 comment:

AfriBats said...

Would you add your bat photo as a citizen-science observation to the AfriBats project on iNaturalist?:
http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/afribats

AfriBats will use your observations to better understand bat distributions and help protect bats in Africa.

Please locate your picture on the map as precisely as possible to maximise the scientific value of your records.

Many thanks!