Sunday, March 30, 2008

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Show me the money, Part deux...

Just when you think you're on a roll is when you're most susceptible to being blindsided. My financial management on this trip has been abysmal. But "blindsided" is really a overstatement because I've been aware that this USD crunch was coming awhile back. Underestimating the cost of the letter of introduction (canada) and egyptian visa just exacerbated the problem. Now I've learned that it's nearly impossible to get USD in Addis.

Why the panic? I need USD to get through Sudan. Credit cards and travelers cheques are useless there.

There were 2 possible solutions: 1) the black market 2) find someone leaving addis on an airplane to exchange birr into USD. it's unfortunate that i have to stoop so low, but what choice do i have?

so, this day, i asked my friend from ireland, emily, to exchange 150 bucks for me at the Hilton. The generosity of fellow travelers is amazing sometimes. I need 150 bucks more and then I'll feel better..

Out of Canuckistan: A travel blog, Mar 30/07
Bigtubofgoo.com
Buy Bubba a Beer Now!

No comments: