Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Aswan to Cairo, Egypt - Nubian Museum and Philae...


The actual island of Philae is under water (in the lake formed between the Low and High Aswan Dam. The temples (dominated by the Temple of Isis) of Philae were moved block by block (like the temples at Abu Simbel) 500 metres to a new island where they stand as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Kiosk of Trajan...note the exquisite Roman columns...

Column found in the Vestibule of Nectanebos at the entrance to site...

The Western Colonnade leading to the Temple of Isis...

Matt in front of the First Pylon of the Temple of Isis. Interesting to see a dark water stain at the bottom of the pylon marking undoubtedly numerous floods through the centuries...

Obligatory battle scene showing the victorious Pharoah (probably one of the Ptolemy's). Hilarious how he's got the enemies by the hair! Interesting how his image was chiseled and destroyed. Seems like this is commonplace when a ruler is usurped....or when another religion moves in...

Egyptian gods. I think that might be Isis on the left, then Horus (falcon-headed son of Isis), and an unknown goddess. so much for my knowledge of Egyptian mythology...

Inner sanctuary of the Birth House or mammisi found in western pillar of the first pylon. Structures like these were built to glorify the divine births of gods (in this case, the birth of Isis and related gods).

Reliefs in the birth house.

Another interesting birth house relief is that of Isis with baby Horus sitting on her lap.

Backside of the First Pylon, showing the funerary barque (boat that is used to carry the deceased to the underworld) of Isis...

The Second Pylon of the Temple of Isis.

Closer look at the giant reliefs on the Second Pylon...

The Hypostyle Hall in the Inner sanctuary of the Temple of Isis...

I found several of these carved into the existing reliefs. Run, run, the Christians are coming...

It's all Greek to me, eh... I found all sorts of graffiti on the wall of the Temple. No respect I'm telling you...

Caretaker Dude in the Hypostyle Hall...


View Larger Map
Aerial view of the Philae Temple Complex...


My souvenir ticket stub. 40 L.E.? That's a lot of money!!

Hmmm...went to the Nubian Museum on Day 1. That was really good. I was looking for more materials showing contemporary pre-High Dam history. But all in all, the displays were excellent (pretty comprehensive) and really informative.

Yesterday, Matt and I caught the water taxi out to the new Philae island to check out the Temple of Isis. That was fantastic. I just loved the reliefs. The birth house with it's offering table was brilliant.

Second class ticket from Aswan to Cairo costs 47 L.E. ($US 8.26). Not a bad deal at all...

I'm on the train for Cairo now. Said goodbye to Matt (he's going to take a felucca ride down to Luxor and do the Valley of the Kings).

I've had Africa withdrawal symptoms the last few days, especially coming from places like Ethiopia and Sudan. Instead of being surrounded by flocks of tourists in Egypt, it was a good feeling knowing that I were pretty much alone in Ethiopia and Sudan. The only foreigner around. The train ride in Sudan is still fresh in my mind (memories of the infamous logistics, the great people). Now I find myself in an air conditioned second class train, sitting in my own reclining seat. How weird is that?

Egypt marks the end of the African segment of the trip but as I was discussing with Matt yesterday, Africa proper, ended once we crossed into Ethiopia. The culture changed. The peoples' demeanor changed particularly in Egypt. People are much more serious here. Hardly anyone smiles. All business.

I'm skipping Luxor (with some regret). I don't think I can handle the touts. I'm moving onto Cairo. Alexandria. Then Siwa thereafter.

I'm thinking of going home soon. If I end this in June it will be 7 months on the road. That's a long time. Personally, until the DRC is safe, I might not be back this way for a long whil. The "stans" may be the next logical choice. On this trip? I dunno. One critical factor is information. Hopefully I can find some answers in Cairo...

Out of Canuckistan: A travel blog, May 20/07
Bigtubofgoo.com
Buy Bubba a Beer Now!

No comments: