Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Cairo, Egypt - You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille...or Pyramids, Pyramids, Pyramids...


What's a visit to Cairo without seeing the Pyramids of Giza? Well, this time I didn't. But, I did dig up some ancient photos (c. 1994 AD). Thanx to Steve for scanning the slides... Yes, back in archaic times I took slide film pix. Yikes. Btw, that's the Pyramid of Khafre in the back and the Great Sphinx in the foreground.

I can't believe the Great Pyramid just received "honourary" status in the "new" 7 wonders of the world. That's kind of a joke. Just my opinion, but other tourist sites like Petra kind of pale in comparison in both physical and spiritual stature. If you haven't done so, put the pyramids on your bucket list now...

Times are a changing on the plateau. I heard rumours that they put a chainlink fence around the pyramids at Giza. There's your modern day asthetic for you... All in hopes of keeping out the touts (eg. extremely annoying camel toting/perfume shop salesmen such as my friend in the picture above). 3 thoughts come to mind: 1) since my first visit in circa 1994 AD, present day tourists have gone soft, if the authorities in the antiquities think they need protection from the touts; 2) if the antiquities office wants to protect the integrity of the site they should first remove the large population of plastic shopping bags clinging to the sides of one of mankind's greatest architectural wonders; 3) the extremely annoying touts are just trying to make a living. Excluding them will just lower the value of the pyramids in the eyes of Egyptians. You have to get the Egyptian peeps behind the project...

I'm very depressed.

3 hours on the net today and nothing done.

A one way ticket to Seoul is 520 Euros. How can Koreans afford to fly home? Vietnam seems to be alot of work. The 'Stans seem a world away. The Asian route seems like a trip in in itself.

To top it off, Couchsurfing seems clique-ish.

I love this predicament.

There are no easy ways out.

Out of Canuckistan: A travel blog, July 2/07
Bigtubofgoo.com
Buy Bubba a Beer Now!

No comments: