Friday, November 04, 2005

heroin is bad...muffins are good...


a little taste of afghanistan...

my bro goes to some of the hottest spots on earth on some of his biz trips.

as i write, he's in northern bc sampling chinese restaurant food. apparently, the lost 13th chinese tribe found it's way to chetwynd.

i got this email from my bro yesterday asking whether in my opinion he was seen as competitive.

well, everyone's competitive i told him. it's human nature to out do one another.

however, idiots like me take it to the extreme. case in point, there's this internet hockey pool i'm partaking in. it involves selecting a finite group of nhl players. the 'puter keeps track of how many goals, assists, etc. the group scores each week and compares these totals in a head to head battle with other teams in the pool. ok, blah, blah, blah...

anyway, i find my self obsessed with this game, huddling around the 'puter nightly to see how my "team" is doing, analysing every little detail of the performances of hundreds of hockey player in the nhl.

to carry it even further, i'm listening to radio broadcasts of teams like the mighty ducks, the nashville whatevers. normally, i don't give a rat's ass about these far-flung teams.

every sunday night i'm racked with indecision about who or who not to include on the team.

what's happening to me...?

3 comments:

bubba said...

len, didn't mean to dis the nashville team. they are pretty good. however, i don't think i'd be as informed if i wasn't in the pool. that kiwi pool member is quite active. he's picked up some pretty good players in the last couple of weeks. can't wait to be trounced by his team...

Kyle said...

I know how you feel.

Ever since I joined this Fantasy Football league, I've been utterly obsessed with the NFL. Which is odd, considering that I never used to care at all about the less-impressive version of the game played south of the 49.

But alas, my season is now beyond repair. I made some gambles, and traded away some underperformers for some "shot in the dark" players... and now the underperformers are performing and the shots in the dark missed. That, and that jerk Terrel Owens is on my team, and he just got suspended indefinitely by his team...

And the result? I lost this week 49-13. All 13 points came from my kicker. Sigh.

I shoulda joined the hockey pool, I shoulda...

bubba said...

kyle, i always cringe when i cut players. what if they pick up their play or come back and kick my team's butt?

t.o. will be back... next week. can't pay a bazillion dollars for the best china and not use it for thanxgiving (or something like that).