Friday, March 27, 2009

The Most Dangerous Tourist Attraction in the World - Anymore Bright Ideas Out There...?

I'm always looking for good travel ideas.

Awhile back, I received an email from my cousin. Attached to the email were some pretty wild pictures of a "hiking" trail.

I remembered one picture where the "trail" was a narrow ledge of toothpick-like planks of wood clinging precariously to a sheer rock cliff.

Another picture was of Chinese-like folks climbing up another sheer cliff using a rickety old rope ladder.

This couldn't be right, I thought. It looked way too dangerous...

I concluded that the pix must have been photoshopped. So, I filed the email and forgot about it.

That was until I discovered this Youtube clip (on the Adventure Blog):



Crazy, eh?

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to my cousin for second guessing the validity of her photos.

If I'm ever in the neighbourhood, I'll certainly give Hua Shan a try. Ok, I'll do it!

If you have a good travel idea (places to see, peoples to meet, things to do, etc.), give me shout on the comments...much appreciated.

Ideas don't necessarily have to be crazy wild but just brilliant.

6 comments:

Mountain Man said...

Which trails made the cut as the world's classic hikes? Here's all 11 featured in National Geographic May 2005 issue.

1. The Colorado Trail
2. Buckskin Gulch, Utah
3. John Muir Trail, California
4. Kalalau Trail, Kaua'i, Hawai'i
5. McGonagall Pass, Alaska
6. Fitz Roy Grand Tour, Patagonia, Argentina
7. Kungsleden, Sweden
8. Mount Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal
9. Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
10. Routeburn Track, New Zealand
11. Shackleton Crossing, South Georgia Island

A bit too North Americancentric

My top treks? (in no fixed order)
1) Annupurna Base Camp, Nepal
2) Kolahoi glacier, Kashmir
2) Mount Kailash, Tibet
3) Pembrokeshire coast - Wales
4) Antarctic Peninsula
5) Altiplano - Bolivia / Chile
6) Milford Haven - New Zealand
7) Tortuguero National Park - Costa Rica
8) Tiera del Fuego - Argentina

bubba said...

Thanx Aubrey.

I've only been to Mt. Kailash, EBC (Kala Pattar's close enough?), and Kilimanjaro.

I better get a move on if I'm gonna see the rest of your lists.

I agree the first list is America-centric. Notice I dropped the "north".

kelsey said...

you cannot go to annupurna without me.

bubba said...

qt, been there done that!! wouldn't mind going back though...

Steve H. said...

Didn't you leave a lung up at Annapurna, Bubba?

bubba said...

steve h., not only did i leave a lung on annapurna, i left lungs on everest, kilimanjaro and kinabalu...