Monday, January 03, 2005

do you want the good news or bad news first?...


koh lanta beach...


koh lanta friends

for the last two trips, i saved southeast asia till last on the itinerary. i can honestly say that se asia is a traveler's paradise. beautiful landscapes and beautiful, friendly people who wouldn't hesitate to invite you into their homes. it's sort of a vacation from the harshness of travel in places like india, nepal, or central asia. a place where i could let down my hair (ha!) and relax. an escape from insatiable touts and rotten con men.

i found myself in thailand in the winter of 2000 desparately in search of some rest and relaxation after a trek in nepal fraught with illness and exhaustion. i've always tried to keep away from the hordes of tourists that seemed to flock to places like phuket and koh phi phi.

i found an idyllic little island (recommended by a bunch of americans at the bangkok airport bus stop) on thailand's adaman coast called koh lanta. the beach was lined with palm trees and the bamboo huts of numerous "resorts" but there were hardly any tourists around. for $2 a night you could sleep in a hut of your own. to this day i joke about the "expensive" food at the "resort's" restaurant. i was being "ripped-off" at $8 bucks a day for some of the tastiest thai food i've ever eaten.

i spent 10 days in koh lanta walking the beaches. for an hour a day i taught the staff at the "resort" some english to use on the next tourists. they were such nice, happy people...

that was then. the tsunami over xmas has probably irreversibly changed the lives of the people i met on that tiny stretch of paradise. hopefully, they escaped to higher ground.

since christmas day, i've watched hours and hours of news coverage (including the "killer wave" coverage of fox cable news). it was very depressing.

i kept thinking that these tsunami survivors have nothing. absolutely nothing. i've got so much (in a relative sense).

i've derived so much pleasure from traveling in some of the affected areas. so, it was time to give back. i logged on to the canadian red cross website and forked over some cash. it was a piddly amount for a contribution, but i hope it will go a long way. i'm thinking of giving some money to unicef or doctors without borders. i've got till january 11th. that's the deadline for matching grants from the federal government.

to be totally honest, i don't normally donate to disaster funds. i totally hold dean responsible for this donation. i coughed up money for his cambodian orphan project. his reports of overjoyed kids had a profound effect on me.

now only if we could find enough money to help out the people in darfar and the congo...

4 comments:

Kyle said...

I am glad I read this. It helps put a more human spin on the "Killer Wave" news reports which we have all been watching for the last while.

Also, thank you for giving the donation link. I'm heading off there right now.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're friends are OK - there's nothing more important in the world. I'm also giving to the Red Cross, as I think it's the most direct way to help.

Dave

parabolicant said...

Ahhh Koh Lanta. I spent a few hours on its shore in 2002 and 2003. What a paradise that whole area was. I don't know how Koh Lanta, but a hotel owner from a nearby beach has said that everyone in the area is doing well. I hope this helps ease your mind. My friend will be the area in a month. I'll update you more at that time.

dean said...

Allen, it really puts an effect on you when its a place you've been too. I haven't seen that much coverage of all the damage the tsunami's have done, but I'm almost scared to see it. I've been thinking that when I return to Thailand in a month or so, I'll look into trying to give a helping hand somewhere. I'm sure it'll still be needed by then. I'll also look at the websites.

PS - I just got word from the orphanage, the kids are doing great, they've been recieving lots of donations from other travellers.